Black History Month Update
February 2, 2023
February 2, 2023 Newsletter
An update on Trajectory Foundation as we begin Black History Month:
- In January, we celebrated the award of our first scholarship of 2023 by partnering with the Sacramento Kings and G-Unity Foundation. Cherish Jackson, of Grant High School here in Sacramento, was the deserving recipient at the January 13th MLK & HBCU Night at the Kings game. Cherish is an amazing young woman who is planning to attend Howard University this coming fall. Here is her on court moment of brilliance.
- During Black History Month each of the past two years we have had a fundraising effort backed by the matching commitment of a key donor. We continue that tradition this year with a new donor (who wishes to remain anonymous) that has been very close to our efforts for the past year and a half. He will match the first $10,000 raised in the month of February dollar for dollar. We are INCREDIBLY fortunate to have this sort of commitment and we invite you to consider a DONATION. We try to minimize our fundraising campaigns to February and the time period around #GivingTuesday. We spend the rest of the year trying our best to show you the impact of your donations have on these students.
- If you are interested in books, documentaries and podcasts related to Black History Month you can find a good start on our website – Black History Resources. For those of you who have not watched 13th on Netflix I would start there this month. The book Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates was a huge influence in the founding of Trajectory and is an impactful, quick read.
- We are currently working to connect four students to internships across various fields. We’ve been reviewing resumes and doing what we can to help them build their experience outside the classroom as well. If any of you know of internships, please let me know, we have students across all disciplines. Special thank you to Brett Behar for being such a champion of Trajectory students in this space.
- Our scholarship application window is now OPEN thru March 31st. We expect to have 125+ applicants for a minimum of three new scholarships awarded this April.
THANK YOU FOR BEING A PART OF TRAJECTORY FOUNDATION