September ’22 Newsletter
I had the opportunity to attend HBCU Student Recruitment Fairs in Sacramento last week. These are important events put on across California by United College Action Network. These events are so cool – bringing HBCU reps right to high school campuses and the community. Some of the universities do acceptance and financial aid approval onsite!
THREE BIG TAKEAWAYS FROM THESE EVENTS
- Getting to meet potential applicants is unique. I got to spend extended time with a few students who I firmly believe will live enormously impactful lives. This will make the scholarship application and review process very interesting this coming spring.
- Per several recruiters from HBCUs onsite, the demand for HBCU education has never been greater.
- That demand for an HBCU education drives a seemingly insatiable demand for financial aid and scholarships. Our booth was incredibly busy and website traffic hit records on the days of the recruitment fairs.
A question I get from many people who find out about us is “How can I help?” Two ways come to mind
- Continue to donate during our big fundraising periods like Black History Month or #GivingTuesday (you can also donate on any day you want).
- Tell your friends and family! Word of mouth has proven to be the best way to grow our donor base and growing our donor base grows OUR IMPACT on these students!
Finally…we are closing in on being able to announce a new corporate partner. Very excited…more to come.